Monday, June 23, 2008

The US Olympic Softball Team

I got the awesome chance to watch Team USA play team Canada up in OKC and they were doing a special Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer awareness day so they gave out free pink t-shirts and free pink head and wrist bands.
Not to mention the team wore cute pink uniforms!
I'm very sad that softball will not be played during the 2012 Olympics but i've heard they will have another vote in 2010 and if there are enough votes they will reinstate both softball and baseball for the 2020 games!
(they missed the 2012 games by 1 vote!!)

Cat Osterman- she pitched for the Texas Longhorns!
The team in their pink uni's- doing some warm up drills.
The lovely Jennie Finch and Cat Osterman- amazing women and amazing pitchers.
Crystal Bustos- nuff' said
(she is the most powerful hitter on the team and hit a 3 run homer in the game- and she's my age!- By far my favorite player)

The 3 main pitchers for the team:
Monica Abbott
Jennie Finch
Cat Osterman
I couldn't believe how tall all of the pitchers were!
Givin' eachother some props!!

The shortstop, Natasha Watley- the fastest woman on the field!

Jessica Mendoza doing some batting practice.
Before the game the team had some batting practice and it was so fun to watch all the young girls standing at the fence just to get closer to their idols.
I'm so glad that these young girls have great role models to look up to in the world of sports and that these Olympic players take the time to sign autograps after the game and pose for pictures. I wish I had something like this when I was growing up playing softball but as I was watching them I realized that I felt like a little girl again watching my idol, Angie Hardy just wishing I could be like her when I grew up.
I am living vicariously through the Olympic team because some of them are my same age and it makes me proud that they're still playing at that level of intensity!!!
It was also really nice to be around a huge crowd of people who share that same passion for the sport and understand it and know the players' names just like I do. It felt like home!
Let's all hope that the Olympic Committee will do the right thing and bring softball back to the Olympics!!






2 comments:

Allie said...

Too cool! I would have loved to go, even though I don't know all their names and stuff, I do enjoy watching a good game. I totally remember Angie Hardy and thinking she was the greatest. Funny.

Sarah said...

In 1996, when I lived in Cali, we had Julie Smith come to our HS for an assembly. She talked all about the Atlanta Olympics and I asked to try on the medal and she let me! I got in the newspaper and yearbook putting on the gold with her in her team jacket and stuff.

I agree they should bring it back to the Olympics!