Saturday, July 5, 2008

Washington -Day 3- updated with pictures

Can anyone guess where this airial shot is taken?
They show you how they preserve and show the documents.
The Rotunda. This is where they have all the documents on display.
The Constitution- sorry the quality isn't that great- it was hard to try and get a good shot without using your flash.
The Declaration of Indepence page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4 with the signers on the bottom.
The Bill of Rights.
They had to check to make sure that the Statue of Liberty was in good shape so they took a chunk from the flame and it showed that she was still as good as the day she was made.

The Ford Theatre- where Lincoln was shot- I was so mad, it was under construction so it was closed!!
View from one of the streets that I was walking along. It seemed like no matter where you were, there was neat architecture around you or some sort of historical building. One side of the White House- I had no idea there was a North side and a South side.
Me and the White House.
Someone finally noticed that I was having a hard time getting a good shot on my own so they took pity on me and took my picture! It was really hard trying to get the whole house in between the ugly fence.

The Treasure Department.
The other side of the White House- I totally found this on accident- I was walking down the street and saw a bunch of people taking pictures so I thought i'd go investigate to see what was going on and lo and behold, It was the other side of the White House!!
Hello Mr. President!!
Just a really cool street with great looking buildings!
My poor sad map- I'm keeping it as a momento to my great adventures. You can tell you've had a great vacation when your map is marked, folded in every direction and worn on the creases!!



Today was a good day- it was spent mostly just wandering around and taking pictures of really neat architecture.
It started out at the Archives Building- the line actually wasn't that bad, probably 30 min. and I met a really cool family from Philadelphia and the mom had won the trip from a grocery store so I had a great time talking to them and their kids while waiting in line- I also had a Choco Taco so that helped pass the time. As soon as I got in I went to the Public Vault where they had documents and lots of hands on things for you to do. You can become a filmmaker and edit your own documentary about the D-day invasion or become a designer and create a new Great Seal of the US. There is also George Washington's first handwritten letters. You can't miss the 1823 copper plate of the Declaration of Independence or the facsimile of the Emancipation Proclamation. Very cool place but I just couldn't wait to see the real stuff!!!
You then had to wait in a line to get into the Rotunda to see the biggies- they tell you the rules (NO flash photography!!!) and the security guy was really funny and said that he's already checked and there is no treasure map on the back of the Declaration of Independence!! It is true though that you can't lean or put any pressure on the glass or else you'll set off an alarm! I had the camcorder in one hand and the camera in the other and tried my best to get everything on film one way or the toher- hopefully i got it all- it was super cool to be there looking at the original documents that our founding father's put together that still stand today! It is amazing to see how faded they are- it was actually really hard to read much of anything but still really amazing.
I then went into the gift shop and bought some replica documents and some postcards and a pen. It was cool as I was walking down the stair case knowing that National Treasure had been filmed there!!
I then walked up to see the Ford Theatre only to find out that it's closed due to construction- I guess they're doing some major upgrades to make it more interactive. Major disappointment!!!
It was about 5:00 at this point and knew that a lot of places would be closed so figured that I would make the walk over to the White House which wasn't very far and take some pictures along with a billion other people. It was really cool to see all the different races and cultures I was surrounded by. It just goes to show that no matter what you look like, what color your skin might be, what language you might speak and what you believe in- we're all human and regardless if they like (or don't like) who is the President right now- we all wanted to get pictures taken of the house that he lives in. I then walked around just taking pictures of whatever statue or building I saw and then I noticed a large group of people down the street so I walked over and realized that you can take pictures of the other side of the White House!! You can get closer to this side so that was cool but what kinda sucked is seeing all the protesters- I didn't even want to look at them because that means I was giving them my attention and I didn't want to even give them that- I was just there to take pictures and have a good time.
My feet really hurt and my back hurt even worse so I was ready to come back to the hotel at that point (7pm) so I got back on the Metro, then the bus then to the hotel and hung out with Ben and the other girls working with him. We were going to go sit in the hot tub and were all ready when we found out they had closed it---- My feet and back needed the hot water so bad!!!
Well tomorrow Ben and I leave this wonderful hotel and go to Virginia and do some fun stuff over there so hopefully I can blog what we do tomorrow night!!

No comments: