Saturday, July 5, 2008

Washington- Day 2- updated with pictures

The following 3 pics are of some of the best fireworks i've ever seen!!!

As they were herding as all like cattle down the street I saw this building and thought it looked so cool!
The Original "Death Car" archives from Bonnie and Clyde's car. Once again i'm sooo sorry about the pictures being completely out of order- i'm still learning about this whole blogging thing.
Me on a cop bike- loving it baby!!
It said that this is the actual live set of America's Most Wanted but I'm not so sure!
This was where I was standing to watch the fireworks but then Ben called and he was on the other side of the monument so I walked over to meet him and that's where we ended up!!
Ben at the Monument!
The Beautiful Hope Diamond.
The Easter Island Heads- Colben loved the one in Night at the Museum "Me no dum dum, you dum dum"
The Archive Building. The line was really long so I came back the next day.
Me in front of the Archive Building.
The Bonnie and Clyde death car. Not really sure if it was authentic or not.

Me at the 4th of July Parade.
The Hira Krishna float- I think it was by far the best one in the whole parade!!
I really like this picture because I think this confirms to me that the Museum is haunted- don't you see all the orbs?
The Mighty T-Rex!! Me with the Elephant- I totally felt like I was in the movie "Night at the Museum"
This was just emotional to watch. So cool to see them in formation.
They had a group dressed up in period clothing.
I think this was just about the only float in the whole parade!
Re-enactment of Iwo Jima.
The Phillipines had a bunch of people dressed in costume dancing in the street. They were laughing and having a great time.
I was sitting in front of this statue- thought it looked pretty cool!
The flags being carried by the different branches of the Armed Forces.
I don't know what it is about the bag pipe players that gets me all weepy.
I know the President was in Japan at the G8 summit but this flew right over us and headed straight for the White House and then about 10 min. later flew over us again. It said "United States of America" on the side of the helicopter so I wonder who was in it?
This was the first entry in the parade!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th!!!
Yesterday morning I once again hopped on the Bus and then the Metro and found myself on Constitution Ave. and the first people I see? The Mormon Missionaries!!! They were all huddled around a table of knock-off sunglasses! I started chatting with them and they were all so nervous to talk to me- it was kinda funny! It was just really nice to be around them and chat for a sec. I walked down the street trying to find a good seat for the parade and ended up sitting on the edge of a water fountain that is in front of the White House (the White House was actually a ways off in the distance but all I had to do is turn around and I could see it) I'm pretty sure i'm going to be in a lot of people's pictures so hopefully I looked good! I started talking to the women who were sitting next to me and they were all wearing matching shirts so I asked what group they were with-they told me they were part of the Catholic Church. I then noticed about 1,000 red shirts coming up the street- They stopped right in front of us on the other side of the street to sing some patriotic songs to some dignitaries that were sitting under a white tent. It was pretty powerful!! More and more red shirts started walking over to talk to the women next to me and I started feeling really awkward so I picked up my stuff and tried to find another place to sit- plus the fact that the granite water fountain wasn't exactly comfortable and every time a breeze would come up it would make the water spray my back. I found a nice shady spot in the grass and got my cameras ready! The beginning of the parade was really cool- all of the different branches of the armed forces holding flags and walking in formation- very cool!!! It then got kinda boring, marching band after marching band- they invite different marching bands from across the country to participate in the parade. They also had different cultures represented so I took pictures of the Philipines in costume dancing around and the Panamanians- very colorful costumes and very happy people!
I decided to make my way to the Smithsonian during the parade- so that when I was over I would be able to just walk into the Museum of Natural History. They only had about 3 floats and only 5 of those big blow up characters- in fact they only had 2 characters and about 3 smaller balloons- I was disappointed that there weren't more of those- I guess I have been spoiled by the Provo Parade. I really missed not hearing everyone yell "Spin, Spin" to the people that hold onto the blow up characters!! The very last entry in the parade was the Hira Krishna's (excuse the spelling) and that was awesome- I don't know how to explain it but you'll have to wait for the pictures to see how cool theirs was!
I then spent the next 2 hours in the Natural History Museum- when I first walked in I felt like I was in the movie "Night at the Museum" because that's exactly what it looked like. I went to the Dinosaur exhibit, the Mammal Exhibit, the Ocean, Mineral/Gems Exhibit and the Hope Diamond- very pretty!! I had a wonderul late lunch there, then left and walked up the street to work off what I just ate and found myself at the Crime & Punishment Museum- it just opened Memorial Weekend so it's brand new! I spent like 2 hours doing that because I did the guided tour with the fun little wand that tells you what things are. I didn't want to miss out on anything there!
While I was in the gift shop Ben called and said he was on his way over to watch the fireworks- I was so excited but then my happiness was somewhat halted when I looked out the window and saw rain!! I went outside and found myself under some type of awning with about 20 other people who like myself, didn't buy an umbrella when we should have! When it looked like the rain had let up a little I started making my way back down to where the fireworks were going to be- On my way I did find a lady who was selling umbrella's so I was able to stay somewhat dry. I met Ben and made our way to the Washington Memorial- after spending 15 min. in a line to use the Porta-Potty!!! We were facing the reflecting pool/WWII Monument and the Lincoln Memorial when the fireworks started-I hate to admit it, but it totally blew away "Stadium of Fire" it was amazing!!! I recorded all of it and it lasted 17 min. It was so awesome I can't stop thinking about it- I had to really sit there and soak it all in realizing where I was and how amazing this really is!! This whole vacation has seemed unreal to me!! I'm so happy that Ben made the trip to the city to watch them with me!
When the fireworks were over we, along with thousands of other people were herded like cattle down the street to then find whatever Metro station you needed to go to. I finally found a McDonald's and made Ben stop so we could get some real food!!!
We finally made our way to our Metro and got back to the hotel at around midnight but it was such a fun day- i'm now off to the National Archives Building where I wanted to go yesterday but there was a line around the building- i'm sure it'll be the same thing today but at least I don't have many other things to see today so i'm fine standing in a line!! I also would like to see the Ford Theatre and maybe the International Spy Museum.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amazing! I am jealous of all the stuff you are doing.