Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last Minute Trip to Utah

I took a last minute trip to Utah after being home for only 48 hours from being in Idaho. Unfortunately it was for my best friend's husband's funeral. I am just really glad I was able to come and show my love and support for LaShon. I brought the kids with me so they could see family.
The kiddos on the plane- thank goodness for portable electronic devices!
The New Harley Davidson Shop in Lindon- a lot of the materials that they used to build this building were from scraps used at Geneva Steel. It was the neatest looking building and the inside was really cool too. Very rustic.
The kids were so excited to see Baby Tatum- as soon as we walked in they completely swarmed him and I think he was taken off guard at all the madness!!
Colben missed Texas!
Baby Tatum- the last time I saw him he was only 2 weeks old so it was fun to play with him and interact with him.
This was at the luncheon after Ralph's funeral. LaShon looks soooo good. Allison joined us and we had a good time talking and laughing about old times.
LaShon is due on Election Day and just looks so good pregnant!
We will all miss Ralph very much.
After the funeral I met my sisters at the park where we had a good time playing in the heat!

Danielle and Danika goin' down the slide.
There was a duck pond and we brought bread to feed them. The kids got a kick out of it.
Colben ran around to the other side of the pond and wanted to run all the ducks into the water- he chased them around but I don't think any of them actually ended up in the water.
Nicki and I took a walk around the ward with the kids in tow.
The kids liked being pushed in the red wagon.

I'm not sure what Danika is thinking in this picture.
My old Elementary School- It has been around forever and they are now tearing it down (I think they're keeping parts of it) to make a school for gifted children. I wasn't able to be there when they let people come in and take whatever school supplies they wanted (chairs, tables, books etc.) but my sister has some great pictures of the inside before they started tearing it down. My mom also went and grabbed a bunch of great books for my kids. I was very sad to see it in this condition so I guess my memories will have to be good enough.




I think my best memory is when as 6th graders we were so sick of the school colors (Brown and Orange) so we started a petition and walked around all the classes and had all the students sign it if they wanted to help change the colors. We then took the petition to the Principal and he actually took us serious and changed the colors to Red and Black. Just in time for us to leave for Junior High!!
OHHHHH Give me a Great, Groovy, Grand Grizzly growl to show spirit for our Grandview School. (I don't know the rest of the words to our school song-help me out any alumni)

I took the kids to their cousin's house in Lehi for a slumber party (which promptly ended at 10pm when Lara called to tell me Colben was really scared so I went and picked them up but brought them right back the next morning so they could keep playing)
The only way I could get Danika in the picture was to sit with her-The Bangerter girls are so grown up and look so cute.
Some of the girls own lambs that they take to different shows to try and sell so here is Catherine and Colben as they take the lambs out for a walk.

Becca and Danika.
All the kids and the lambs.
Danika really wanted to ride one. She is not scared of anything!
When they got back from the walk they jumped in the pool! I didn't know they had a pool so I didn't have swim clothes for them so Danika is naked and Colben had to swim in his undies!! Thank goodness we're all family right?
Colben loves playing with the noodles!
Danika and Nicki being silly with the balloon.
Nicki telling Danika a secret through the balloon.
Danika sharing a secret with Nicki.
The gang at Brick Oven.
I really wanted to get pictures of the grandkids and both sets of Grandparents!
Grandma and Grandpa Bauer
Grandma and Grandpa Mayo
I decided I wanted in on the fun!
Colben wanted to help grandpa with "pooper scoopin" I watched just cringing with memories of having to do that. I would give up halfway through the yard and just mow it over hoping I wouldn't step in it. I figured it was fertilizer for the lawn!!
Danika took this picture of Jake- he's my parents Malamute and a very silly dog!!
Don't let his size fool you- he's a goofy K9.
Sorry dad, hope this doesn't embarrass you but I had to get on camera what you dress like when you mow the lawn. I don't know anyone else who works out in the yard in a button down plaid shirt!
Nicki and I took the kids swimming at Veteran's Pool-I remember going to this park as a kid back when they didn't need slides or any fancy toys to make it fun. Boy have times changed, I don't know what I'd do if I took the kids swimming at a place that didn't have those fun things to play with and slides to go down.


Colben wanted to teach Danika how to do a back float. He teaches her all sorts of things in our bath tub.

Before I left I really wanted to visit again with LaShon and let her know how much I love her and that I'll always be here for her so Amy and I went over to her mom's house and hung out for 2 hours. She is such a strong woman and i'm so glad we became best friends in high school. I look back and thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with such good friends.
When we walked outside her mom's house to get in the car Amy looked up and said "look, a silver lining" I couldn't help but get a little choked up feeling so grateful for my Heavenly Father and for this beautiful reminder that even in the hardest times, there is a silver lining in there somewhere and we need to have faith that Heavenly Father is looking out for us and that he loves us. I know that he is watching out for LaShon and her unborn son and is giving her the strength and love that she needs to get through this rough time.
Danielle and Chan had a BBQ at their house and the kids loved the fire pit!
Colben loves Baby Tatum!!
My sista and me!!

Danika wanted in on the picture fun!

We put all the kids in the tub and it became "blackmail time" for the parents!
Look at the bum on that one!!!




Look at those tan lines!
Danielle thought it would be fun to have a little fashion show with Tatum's clothes------ by putting them on my kids. Danika ended up wearing part of this outfit home and cried the next morning when I had to take them off so we could get on the plane to come home.
What's funny about this is that I bought this outfit for Tatum (it's a size 24mth) and he can actually fit in it right now- he looks like a homie and it's baggy on him but the fact that my son who is 6 1/2 fits in it too makes me wonder.

13 comments:

Heather S. said...

I'm so sorry I missed you at the funeral, Alexis. I made it to the viewing but wasn't able to stay. You were so sweet to come out for it. LaShon did look beautiful, and I think she is amazing.

Heather S. said...

k, here it is, but no making fun of me....

....proudly we wear our orange and brown, for we know it's the Great Grizzly's rule. Shoulder to shoulder we'll all work together to be loyal and to be true. WE the mighty grizzlies will stand tall in praise of you. WE will do our part to show that we love our Grandview.

It does make me very sad to see the school gone. We had some great times there.

Allie said...

Uhmmm...my father in law wears a button down plaid shirt to mow the lawn in, but he wears khaki chinos and dress shoes to go along with it. Weird. Good to see you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had time with your friends this visit. Our thoughts will continue to be with LaShon and baby as we love her very much! LOVE, LOVE the pics of kids in the tub! What a great night to remember for ALL of us!
I love you, Lex!

Nicki

Heather S. said...

SURPRISE!!!
You've been "TAGGED!"

Visit my blog (http://phsteiner.blogspot.com/2008/08/tag.html) to see what to do next!

Heather

minerfam said...

I was sad to hear that Ralph died. I am so sorry. I am glad you were able to go to the funeral and spend some time with your family.

Regan said...

I can't believe they're tearing Grandview down! No one told me! And I was all ready to bust out the lyrics, but I see you've got that covered. Your kids are so adorable, and I'm excited to see that you guys are in Texas, too!

Becca said...

I'm so glad you were able to be there for your friend. I'm sure she needed your spirit you carry with you. I love your pictures too. I'll keep LaShon in my prayers.

~Becca:)

Stubbart said...

I was so sad to hear about your friends husband. I'll be thinking of her and her sweet baby to be.

GrannySharon said...

I am so sad that they are tearing our school down!! I do consider myself an alumnus as well and am really ticked they didn't ask OUR permission to do it!!(just kidding).
Many of my kids remember that song as well and I remember how hard you worked to change the colors!! So many memories and people!!
Let La Shon know we are so sorry abt her loss!! What a sad time for her, but I am so grateful we have our friends to help us through...you have always been such a good friend!!

GrannySharon said...

I forgot to add that I REALLY want to see pics of your sisters!! It made me so homesick looking at all of your home pictures!! Miss them all...and especially your MOM!!

Joy said...

hey, it was great to see you, wish it could have been for a better reason. i have loved reading your blog, the pictures are so much fun. here is our family blog: http://snyderfamilyfun4.blogspot.com/.

joy

Joanna said...

It was so nice of you to come clear up here for LaShon. I'm sure she appreciated it!